Before showcasing The Grilled Cheeserie at Generous Helpings, Crystal De Luna Bogan shares one of her mouthwatering recipes.
Crystal De Luna Bogan shows her love and appreciation of others with food.
She does this every day at her popular food truck and melt shop, The Grilled Cheeserie, and on May 10, she’ll show her compassion for those in need at Generous Helpings, our Nashville restaurant showcase that benefits our grocery rescue program, Middle Tennessee’s Table.
Fighting hunger and food waste have always been important issues to Crystal.
“As someone who feeds people professionally, I feel it is my responsibility to educate myself and other people on the issue and take action,” she says.
MAKE YOUR OWN GRILLED CHEESERIE
Before getting your hands on one of her cheesy creations at Generous Helpings, you can make one of Crystal’s signature sandwiches at home.
She’s shared one of her favorite recipes below, Chicken Pot Pie Grilled Cheese with Buttery Croissant Crust.
If it sounds decadent, that’s because it is, but this recipe has closer ties to our mission than first meets the eye.
“This dish can be recreated with ingredients found at a food bank or grocery store year round,” Crystal says. “The way this recipe was created was also meant to stretch out costly ingredients like cheese and chicken and be able to serve a lot of people nostalgic comfort food.”
Chicken Pot Pie Grilled Cheese with Buttery Croissant Crust
2 lbs chicken thighs, boneless skinless
1 cup milk
1 tsp Herb de Provence
4-6 pearl onions, peeled and cut in half
2-4 cloves garlic, chopped
1 stalk celery, diced
1 each carrot, diced
8 oz butter
1 cup flour
1/2 can baby corn
1/2 can sliced mushrooms
1/2 can potatoes, diced
1/2 cup frozen peas
1/2 cup fresh parsley
1/2 tsp Tabasco
1 TBSP Chicken Base Seasoning
1 TBSP Sour Cream
1 tsp Salt
1/2 tsp Pepper
4 buttery croissants of your liking, cut in half
10 oz shredded cheddar, we like buttermilk white cheddar
- Poach chicken thighs in heavily salted water to 160′. Remove from poaching water, shred, and set aside.
- In a small pot heat milk, chicken base and herb de provence.
- In a medium pot add about a teaspoon of oil and sauce onions, garlic, celery and carrot until translucent. Add butter and flour and cook until a blond color.
- Once milk has come to a simmer slowly ladle the milk into the roux. Let come up to a simmer stirring consistently.
- Add baby corn, mushrooms, potatoes, peas and parsley, tabasco, Chicken Base Seasoning, sour cream and shredded chicken. Season with salt and pepper. Mixture should be thicker than a normal chicken pot pie base. Pour into a flat baking dish and let cool.
- Heat a flat top griddle or panini press to medium heat.
- To assemble grilled cheese, cut the croissant in half, place shredded cheese on the bottom layer of the bread, scoop a heading spoonful of chicken pot pie mix onto of cheese, top with more cheese, and place the top of the croissant then griddle until cheese is melty. Served best with a side salad simply dressed with lemon juice, olive oil, salt and pepper.